Diary of a Youth Minister

Life as a Youth Minister can be tiring, emotionally draining and really, really hard work ... but it's also masses of fun! And I get to see God working in the lives of young people, which is a massive privilege! This is my diary. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at times. Enjoy the ride! If you have any comments on my blog (positive or negative!) please email me at ant@stmikesyouth.org.

Tuesday 16 January 2007

Byker Grove, mon!

My grand idea of turning the Old Vicarage into a Youth Centre inched a small step closer to reality last night.

It was the longest DCC meeting I've ever been to. We weren't finished until about 10.30pm! Normally, I'd have been cross about that, but last night I wasn't, because ... well, it was mostly my fault!

I had two major proposals that had to be considered. The DCC are very busy at the moment, what with all the advertising and organising for a new Team Rector. I was a little worried that my bits and pieces might get brushed aside. It is to the DCCs credit that this did not happen. They took as much time as was needed to discuss and consider my two proposals, asked my loads of questions and really didn't rush through. I was thrilled!

As for the outcomes, I am definitely going to have at least one Youth Ministry Assistant next year, probably a trainee from YFC. The money for that has been agreed. We're going to revisit the possibility of having a second one in the next meeting. I'm happy with the outcome of that, although to be fair it's pretty much what I expected.


The second one is so exciting! Without giving a definite "yes", the DCC gave the clearest indication yet that they are open to the possibility of using the Old Vicarage as a Youth Centre. I now have permission to start fundraising, applying for grants and putting a bit more detail on the bones, so to speak. Whether we get the money or not will be our fleece, really ... if this is God's will, it will come. I feel good about it, I think we've got a chance. But it's now that the hard work on this really begins for me. Lots of phone calls, emails, forms to fill in, budgeting ... all sorts to do, and not necessarily the things I'm good at. Still, I'm excited by this idea, and I'll do my best and hope that God blesses it!

Please, please pray! A lot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home