Diary of a Youth Minister

Life as a Youth Minister can be tiring, emotionally draining and really, really hard work ... but it's also masses of fun! And I get to see God working in the lives of young people, which is a massive privilege! This is my diary. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at times. Enjoy the ride! If you have any comments on my blog (positive or negative!) please email me at ant@stmikesyouth.org.

Friday 12 January 2007

A positive start to the term!

Our regular meetings have got off to a great start.


Mettle Group A started back on Wednesday evening, and it served as a reminder why I've missed it so much over Christmas. The turn-out was great (only a couple that couldn't make it) and the conversation flowed like it never has before. We ended up talking about whether God could now remove free-will from mankind if he chose to, whether God, being all-powerful, has the power to do evil, and what it was about his nature that makes him NOT do these things. Interesting stuff!

We never will understand God fully in this life. I know sometimes I get to a stage where I think I've got God sorted, I've managed to force him into a box in my life and stuck a label on it. But I reckon that just means that I've distorted my view of God, because he doesn't fit in a box. There isn't room in our whole brain!


Rock Solid was awesome as well. I've found it really difficult lately, but I went along having made a conscious decision to be positive ... both in my own attitude and also in the way I deal with the young people. It's fair to say it paid off for me. I enjoyed it, and I think they did too. Liz did a talk at the end about "friendships that last" - it was a really good talk and, whilst it would be an exaggeration to say you could hear a pin drop, it is true that they listened better than they have for ages. I think that was a combination of a great talk and of an evening of NOT feeling like they were in a battle against us. Working together, that's going to be the key to making Rock Solid work. Especially when there's more than 60 11-14 year olds there!

RS2, Youth Alpha and our three lunchtime clubs started last week, RE:fresh is back this evening, and Mettle Sunday after the evening service on Sunday. Please pray for them, and for the DCC meeting on Monday when we will be discussing further the option of the Vicarage as a Youth Centre.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home