Diary of a Youth Minister

Life as a Youth Minister can be tiring, emotionally draining and really, really hard work ... but it's also masses of fun! And I get to see God working in the lives of young people, which is a massive privilege! This is my diary. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at times. Enjoy the ride! If you have any comments on my blog (positive or negative!) please email me at ant@stmikesyouth.org.

Wednesday 16 May 2007

Talented folk!

I'm actually really excited about the Kate Rusby song that our random group of musicians are going to perform at the next band night.
Last night, after an excellent Youth Service music practice, Clare, Ruth, Tom and I stayed behind to have a first run through of Polly, the song we're planning to perform. And it sounded so much better than I thought it would! It's basically a folk song, which is VERY different to anything that's been done at a RE:fresh band night in the past, so we're hoping that people will respect it... I think they will, and that will hopefully open the door to other types of music in the future. We'll see.

But the three guys last night showed what fantastic musicians they are. Clare, who's singing, was worried last week that she "wouldn't be able to sing it as well as Kate Rusby", but she sang it beautifully and the difference isn't as big as you might have thought. Ruth was given my scrawled down version of the violin part just a couple of hours earlier, and yet played it flawlessly, while Tom didn't have any music at all for the bass part, but worked it out on his own and sounded great! Such a lot of talent!

Oh, one more word for Clare: congratulations, welcome to the world of drivers!

Today's a day off, a full, 24-hour, day off, which is, frankly, a miracle. I've spent the morning taking the dog for a VERY long walk, playing with iTunes and listening to some music, and I'm looking forward to spending the night with Laura and bump in front of the telly (still working on those photos by the way... don't tell her!).

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home