Diary of a Youth Minister

Life as a Youth Minister can be tiring, emotionally draining and really, really hard work ... but it's also masses of fun! And I get to see God working in the lives of young people, which is a massive privilege! This is my diary. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at times. Enjoy the ride! If you have any comments on my blog (positive or negative!) please email me at ant@stmikesyouth.org.

Saturday 5 May 2007

Almost there...

... on two counts.

1) My talk for the Mix is ... well, I was going to say "almost finished" but I think I'm going to plump for "taking shape nicely". The inspiration that I have been so desperate for finally hit yesterday afternoon after a lot of panicking and no few tears of frustration.

Actually, I was talking to my friend Clare last night about how God so often works through the tears. I think I needed to realise that I actually COULDN'T do it on my own. Once I'd done that, I gave it up to him and BAM! Inspiration hits. Co-incidence? I think probably not.

Wickwar Cricket Club

2) The cricket season starts for me in about two hours. I am, like my talk for the Mix, horribly underprepared. I haven't made it to a single practice and so have barely touched a bat or ball since the end of last season (so, about September!). There's a strong chance I'll make a bit of a plonker of myself today. I'm just praying that somehow, my body remembers how to do these things!
Last night was another succesful night, work-wise. The new Youth Alpha Active course (for 11-14s) was on at tea-time, and we did session three, "How Can I Be Sure Of My Faith?". It's always a really good session, and this time was no exception. There is a really nice atmosphere at this group, and quite a buzz about the Weekend Away in June.


Just a word, too, for the Young Leaders - Ruth (middle), James (top) and Emma (bottom). These guys are only 15 or 16 years old themselves, yet they're leading small group discussions for 11-14 year olds on a Youth Alpha course, and what's more, they're doing it with confidence, style and enthusiasm. I don't think I could have done that at their age. Fair play!




And also for Cath (above). Cath may be coming to work with me next year, but in the meantime she is co-leading the Youth Alpha course with Trevor and I. Last night she did her first ever talk for this age group, and did a brilliant job. She has a lot of potential... watch this space!


RE:fresh was also great... no time left to write too much about that, but I'll say this: the atmosphere was great again, and the brand new Xbox 360 (a gift, unbelievably!) was a big hit.

Finally on this mammoth blog-entry, an update on Zac. He is now at home with Rachael and Dean and it turns out he has viral gastro-enteritis (no idea if that's how you spell it or not!). He still isn't quite right, but at least we know what the problem is, and he is improving. Thank you all so much for your prayers.

Off to make a fool of myself at cricket!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home