Diary of a Youth Minister

Life as a Youth Minister can be tiring, emotionally draining and really, really hard work ... but it's also masses of fun! And I get to see God working in the lives of young people, which is a massive privilege! This is my diary. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at times. Enjoy the ride! If you have any comments on my blog (positive or negative!) please email me at ant@stmikesyouth.org.

Friday 10 November 2006

On tenterhooks...

... just waiting for the 'phone to ring. At some point over the next day or so I will become an uncle! My sister, Rachael, began the process of giving birth to her baby last night (a few weeks early, but nothing to worry about apart from the fact that I lose my bet with Laura!) and, whilst things seem to be moving quite slowly, it clearly won't be too long now. Ring, 'phone, ring! I'm actually quite excited!

Yesterday was another of those days that are busy but mostly great fun. Trevor and I started the day with two primary school assemblies (which I hate doing, but it went very well) and then a lunchtime club (which I hate doing, but it went very well).

I had a lunch with Laura Cooke in between, to talk about her baptism in December. She's grown so much in her faith recently, it's so exciting! Anyway, she's inviting family and friends, and wants me to do the talk. I feel really honoured to be asked!

We had a Mix planning meeting in the afternoon, and I managed to volunteer Mark for detached work... that'll teach him! I also managed to volunteer myself for a talk in April, and Trevor somehow got landed with organising the prayer ministry rota. We must both practice that little word "NO!" a bit more. Still, it's nice to be able to contribute.

It was the evening that was the real highlight of the day. Jeni Hine (officially the busiest person in the world) was in a play at her school, so Clare, Naomi, Emily and I piled down to Bristol Grammar School to see it. And it was ace! It was all about some pupils at a school in special measures, and their drama teacher who really inspired them. Some of the language was a bit ... shall we say, choice? But it was really well acted and produced and Jeni (and her brother Dave, who also had a main part) did really well. It's so nice to be invited to the things that young people do, and I must admit to feeling a great deal of pride as I sat there and watched. I know they're not MY children, but when you work with people in the way that we do, you really come to care for them and to see them doing something good gives you a buzz!

Must speak to Jeni about her language, though ... ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home