Diary of a Youth Minister

Life as a Youth Minister can be tiring, emotionally draining and really, really hard work ... but it's also masses of fun! And I get to see God working in the lives of young people, which is a massive privilege! This is my diary. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at times. Enjoy the ride! If you have any comments on my blog (positive or negative!) please email me at ant@stmikesyouth.org.

Tuesday 7 November 2006

Diary of a day or two...

Sorry to those of you that check this regularly ... I've been a bit slack at posting recently. Just general business as usual!

So, picking up where I left off...

The Mix was really good. However, that judgment is based on the word of Mettle members who went, as Trevor, Liz and I spent the majority of the evening standing out in the freezing cold doing "detached", which basically means chatting to those folk who come out for a breath of fresh air/nicotine/to escape etc. It was quite good, but I'd rather have been inside in the warm (even though we have to sit on the floor). It's all my mate Mark's fault ... he volunteered me for duty on the coldest night so far just because I wasn't at the planning meeting. Just you wait until December, mate!

Monday was a pretty good day, all in all. We had an ace fhcu session at Filton High, with a new girl there too. We basically just chatted about what was going on in our lives and then prayed for each other. We've tried it before and it hasn't really worked, but this time it really did, and it was so good. Filton High can feel a bit daunting, but this Monday lunchtime felt like a God-filled Oasis in the middle. Hope it carries on like that.

Then Trevor and I did a Year 8 Assembly that we were nowhere near prepared-enough for. I had to step in at the last minute because Liz has had to go home for the week, and we only finished planning it ten minutes before we left for school. But it went so well! The young people really responded to us and Trevor got the message across so clearly. It just shows how God can take the humblest of our offerings and really use them for his purposes. We can't use that as an excuse to not prepare properly ... but it does show what a little prayer can do!

I spent the afternoon doing prep for other stuff, and had the evening off. Laura was out for a drink with Annie, so I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with just me and God, which was ace. And then I met Trevor for a late-night pint, which really finished the evening off nicely.

Today was my day off, and I've done some cool stuff. Trevor and I went to the cinema to see "Click", which was quite funny and actually surprisingly though provoking. It really makes you think how lucky you are to have all that you've got, which wasn't a bad thing for me at the moment. This evening Sam and Cath came round for dinner. We've not really hung out much with them, but I think they're ace and we really must make more effort to spend time with our friends.

It's been a good couple of days, so I'm not sure why I'm feeling so down. I feel like a need a lot of prayer at the moment ... please feel free to supply it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home