Diary of a Youth Minister

Life as a Youth Minister can be tiring, emotionally draining and really, really hard work ... but it's also masses of fun! And I get to see God working in the lives of young people, which is a massive privilege! This is my diary. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at times. Enjoy the ride! If you have any comments on my blog (positive or negative!) please email me at ant@stmikesyouth.org.

Monday 12 March 2007

Battle of the Bands

I spent Saturday in Weston-super-Mare with Chaos Remains, who were there for a Battle of the Bands competition at Barcode. And I loved every minute of it!

We headed off in a minibus at about midday, with the band, Liz and I and one or two of their friends on board, so we got there in time to unload and have fish'n'chips for lunch. Then we hung out on the pier and in the funfair all day before the compeition.

And they did so well in the Battle of the Bands! They finished second (beaten by a band from Yate called Soul Kage who have been together for ages and are older). They could still go through as best young band... we have to wait and see... but whatever happens, they were awesome and given that they're all 16 or under and have only been playing together for well under a year, what they have acheived is amazing! I really think they might have a chance if they keep their focus. I'm so proud of them.

The day was fun because it was just the sort of youthwork that I love doing ... just hanging out with young people all day with no particular agenda other than to do just that! I had some really great conversations and it's great to do some pressure-free youthwork for once!

The rest of this week is pretty hectic once my day off (tonight and tomorrow) is over. Youth Alpha tomorrow evening, then straight into the Stop the Traffik slots at Filton High School (ahead of the big push next week). Also, Mettle groups, RE:fresh Comic Relief Night ... loads to do, and, as usual, so little time!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home