Diary of a Youth Minister

Life as a Youth Minister can be tiring, emotionally draining and really, really hard work ... but it's also masses of fun! And I get to see God working in the lives of young people, which is a massive privilege! This is my diary. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at times. Enjoy the ride! If you have any comments on my blog (positive or negative!) please email me at ant@stmikesyouth.org.

Tuesday 6 March 2007

A night off, slave trafficking at school and ... well ... sex!

I'm starting to feel a little less tired after the weekend, which is good news because we're quite busy this week.

Part of the reason for that is my unexpected evening off today. Youth Alpha was cancelled because there is drama stuff going on at Filton High, which loads of the Alpha-ites are involved in. So instead of being at Youth Alpha, I'm sat watching Liverpool v Barcelona on the telly (having popped in to see Mettle Group B for half-an-hour). It's a real blessing, to be honest, and unexpected bonus which I'm very grateful to God for.

Work-wise, I said we were busy and I meant it! Trevor's away on training, which always means a little more to do, and on top of that we have a VERY early start tomorrow. We have an assembly at St Mary Redcliffe School in Bristol, which means catching a train just after 7.30am. I don't do much at Redcliffe any more, because I feel that we should focus on Filton High, but I do do the odd assembly and tomorrow is that day. Must get an early night!

We're also planning for our Stop the Traffik Mission Week, a lot of which will take place at Filton High School. We're teaching RE lessons all day, every day (with just TWO free periods) over that week, with a few the week before too. It's going to be hectic and tiring, but I'm so grateful to God that the teachers have been keen to have us in and do the lessons. The Christian RE teacher has always been keen, but this time the other two have been so pleased to have us in to teach. It's mostly because Stop the Traffik is not a specifically Christian topic, so they don't have to worry that we'll "cross the line" (which we wouldn't anyway!). But do pray that this will be a watershed moment in our relationship with the RE department as a whole ... if we do a good job, I really hope we'll be able to go in more.

The rest of Mission Week will be spent doing youth groups almost every night, and the Freedom Day on the Sunday (church lunch, promise auction, Youth Service and 24-hour prayer room). I'm not going to bang on about it too much tonight, but it should be a great day. 25 March, at the end of the Mission Week, in case you're wondering...!

Finally, work-wise, we're doing Sex and Sexuality teaching with Mettle at the moment, so please do pray that the leaders would be wise and say the right things, and that the young people would be brave enough to share their thoughts. There's a good conversation going on on the forum, about sex before marriage, and people are being really honest. I'm so encouraged by that ... please pray that it continues!

Liverpool are just starting to struggle without my full attention, so I'm going to give it back...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! you are coming to my school! i will be around main school in the morning because i help in the ghetto (my old tutor group). you could say hello to me and then you'd be really cool because you know a sixth former.

 
At 11:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you've recovered from Alpha w/e. It was great to see you. Love to Laura & Lucky. God bless you all in your efforts to bring young ones to know the Lord. Mum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home