Diary of a Youth Minister

Life as a Youth Minister can be tiring, emotionally draining and really, really hard work ... but it's also masses of fun! And I get to see God working in the lives of young people, which is a massive privilege! This is my diary. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at times. Enjoy the ride! If you have any comments on my blog (positive or negative!) please email me at ant@stmikesyouth.org.

Saturday 16 December 2006

It's starting to feel a lot like Christmas!

A lazy Saturday. I've earned it.

Over the last two nights we've had the 11-14s Christmas Disco and the 14-18s Christmas Banquet. Both went really well, on the whole.

I was lucky because I didn't have to do that much for the disco, and actually wasn't there for some of it because I had a very important meeting. Trevor did the whole thing from start to finish, and, even though there were one or two slight problems, he did a cracking job and the young people really enjoyed it. It was great because as well as the usual Rock Solid crowd, loads and loads of the RS2 lot came along too. A great event! Trevor is doing so well at the moment ... he's operating at such a high level it's easy to forget sometimes that he's only 19!

And last night was the Christmas Banquet for members of Mettle and RE:fresh. It was my sixth Banquet, and, not to put too fine a point on it, I actually really think it was the best one that I've been involved with. There was a great atmosphere, everyone really joined in together and there was a great mix of young people from the Church and from outside. And I think there were loads more boys than ever before, which made it feel a lot more balanced. We took hundreds of photos, and they will appear on the website in the next week or so.

I can't finish with the Banquet without saying a big thankyou to all the amazing people who made it happen. Trevor and Liz both worked their socks off all day long, as did Steve Gardiner, who came to help. On the night, there were kitchen hands, waiting staff and, most importantly, Ann Cooke who works so hard to make all the food happen. We simply couldn't do it without these people ... hats off to them! And the young people all signed a card for me, Trevor and Liz, and gave us a box of chocolates each. It's so nice when they notice the hard work that goes in.

Got home about 1am, after the busiest day of the year, so I'm taking a guilt-free quiet day, sitting on the sofa watching The A-Team and old Doctor Who. Tonight is Carols on the Green, and I have one or two bits to do, but it feels a bit like Christmas now because all the high pressure stuff is off my list and I can get on with enjoying Christmas (and my birthday, I suppose!).

Please pray that I'll remember to remember Jesus in amongst all the wrapping paper, turkey, parties etc. I think that's the biggest challenge that faces any Christian in today's consumerism-soaked Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home