Diary of a Youth Minister

Life as a Youth Minister can be tiring, emotionally draining and really, really hard work ... but it's also masses of fun! And I get to see God working in the lives of young people, which is a massive privilege! This is my diary. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at times. Enjoy the ride! If you have any comments on my blog (positive or negative!) please email me at ant@stmikesyouth.org.

Thursday 30 November 2006

I'm still here!

I know, I know ... I've not posted for a very long time! You may have gathered that I've been absolutely rushed off my feet for quite a while, and over the last few days it's just hit a climax. I'm not even going to TRY to tell you everything I've been up to ... but here's a flavour of it!

We got back to Stoke Gifford on Saturday evening to be faced by a very busy Sunday. I left the house at 8.30am and got home at 10.00pm after a day that included playing guitar in two services, RS2, Mettle Sunday, two music practices and lunch at the in-laws, amongst other things. Mary led Mettle Sunday, and we did "praying using the internet" which was really, really good ... and since then the "Prayer Requests" section of the website (www.stmikesyouth.org) has gone ballistic, which is really encouraging. Keep them coming guys - it's so important that we all pray for each other.

Monday was full of meetings, including one that yielded a new, much-needed Rock Solid leader in Rachel Mason. I'm so glad she's coming on board - we've been so short-staffed, and Rachel has a real gift for working with the 11-14 age-group. I'm certain she's going to be a real asset to the team. I also had a staff meeting and a trustees meeting, both with very positive outcomes. The only downside was that we had to cancel f h c u, because hardly anyone could make it. I missed it ... it's something of a highlight for me personally.

Tuesday was my day off, and ended up being very busy too! I went into town with Kelly and got a new phone (I can FINALLY ditch the rubbish one I've been using for too long!). I also got a new tariff which means my monthly phone bill will come down from £250+ to about £40. Laura is thrilled! And I spent the money I was saving on two tickets for Cats in Bristol this Saturday, so I'm definitely in her good books. I'd rather lick the dog clean with my tongue than see Cats, but it's worth it just to see her so excited!

Wednesday was another day of meetings, with an unexpected highlight in the morning. Liz was leading our team-time, and just used it as space for us all to try and listen to God. I ended up with some really profound stuff. I don't really do a lot of being still, but it was SO good ... I'll have to try and write it into my diary. The evening's Mettle session was cancelled (the same reasons the f h c u was) so I did the pub quiz with a couple of the older teenagers (all over 18, of course!) which was great fun ... it's nice to be able to hang out with them and just have fun without having to impose any teaching agenda.

Today's been manic, largely because I've been doing the Spring programmes. They're done! It's good to have them off the to-do list. Now I can focus on the Christmas Banquet. Help!

I'm doing a presentation on the Youth Ministry for the Beta group this evening ... not sure whether to be excited or nervous! I love talking about the Youth Ministry, but not so comfortable talking to adults. I'm sure it'll be fine.

On a personal note, Laura's just arrived home with the Razorlight album, which I'm thrilled with! And I've touched base with an old friend after a good few years this week. Tam, if you're reading, I'm so glad we're back in touch. Let's stay that way! (there's an exclamation mark just for you!).

Thanks for reading, everyone. Pray for energy for me - you can see why!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home