Diary of a Youth Minister

Life as a Youth Minister can be tiring, emotionally draining and really, really hard work ... but it's also masses of fun! And I get to see God working in the lives of young people, which is a massive privilege! This is my diary. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at times. Enjoy the ride! If you have any comments on my blog (positive or negative!) please email me at ant@stmikesyouth.org.

Friday 1 June 2007

Back to work!

Today is the day that I hit the office again. I haven't been in for several days, and I'm dreading getting back because I think I'll realise just how much work I still have to do for Term 6. The year is nearly is nearly over, but in the next six weeks or so I have a Youth Alpha Weekend Away, a sermon at Measham Baptist Church, a Global Citizenship Day at Marlwood School, a Student Age Pastorate Weekend Away (at which I'm speaking), a trip to see Rob Bell in Cardiff with fhcu, a Youth Baptism Service, Liz's leaving tea and the St Mikes Youth Big Day Out. That's on top of the usual Mettle, RE:fresh, RS2, Rock Solid, Youth Alpha and fhcu sessions.

I also have endless paperwork, letters and next year's budget to do. Then there's exams and coping with the young people's varying emotions through that, and the four people I'm discipling on a one-to-one basis, as well as setting up the discipleship scheme for next year. Seeing it all written down like that scares me. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it all, but I suspect God will have to be heavily involved!

I've had a good rest over the last few days, which I think may prove vital. I'm notoriously bad at half-terms, because I tend to just end up working anyway, but this time I haven't really done much... and for the first time in ages, I've really enjoyed it!

Monday brought Derby County's victory in the play-off final, and promotion to the Premiership. It still hasn't properly sunk in, that I'm a fan of a Premiership club once again, but I do believe it's where the club belongs. As a Rams fan, I'm eternally pessimistic, and am already making glum predictions about how we will fare in the big league, but who knows? Just look at Reading!

Tuesday was an interesting day, too! Laura and I had our 20-week scan, and were all set to find out the gender of our baby. Unfortunately, God has a sense of humour - the umbilical cord was in the way and the scanning lady couldn't tell! We were gutted, because now we don't know what colour clothes to buy! However, the baby is healthy, has all the right bits and is very lively, apparently, so you can't ask for more than that. We'll just have to wait until Laura's finished pushing to find out if it is a girl... apologies to those of you who have money riding on the outcome!

Then it was off up to Derby for a couple of days to stay with the folks, which was really nice. For the first time my allergies didn't really play up, which actually think may be because of all the weight I've lost since Christmas... my asthma's improved since I've been fitter, too! I'm sure some medical people will tell me otherwise, but until then, I'm sticking by my theory!

But not sneezing and wheezing meant I really enjoyed being there. We spent the day shopping in Solihull on Wednesday with Mum, Dad, Rachael, Dean and of course Zac! We ended up buying lots of (unisex) baby stuff... including an activity dragon that I think I want ME to have instead!

Yesterday we went to shopDCFC, officially to buy baby stuff (we got a "Baby Rammie" hat and bootie set), but it was really to get presents for me (including a rather splendid "Derby County - Back In the Big Time" t-shirt!

Then it was back home, and a lovely evening with the Hepburns and a mass of Chinese food. I ate too much, but went to bed full and happy. We're staying at Laura's parents for a couple of days, while our house is used by friends.

And all this made me think how lucky we are to have family and friends who are so supportive. My parents really spoilt us while we were away and are a constant support, Laura's folks are happy for us to gatecrash and stay at the drop of a hat and do so much for us, and the Hepburns (not family, but sometimes feel a bit like it) provided entertainment and fun in the evening, and are always there when you need a shoulder.

God puts these people in your path, and yet you sometimes take them for granted. We mustn't do that... they're all a part of his plan, and I feel so privileged to be so well looked after.

I suppose I'd better get started on that day in the office...

1 Comments:

At 12:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to be appreciated. In our case, God had us planned together for a very long time before and it is great to thank Him for the part He plays in all our lives which we don't always recognise at the time but may be privileged to see at a later date. MumX

 

Post a Comment

<< Home